Nine out of ten Americans suffer from headaches. The pain might begin as a dull, throbbing sensation, or jump straight into the feeling of a tight band squeezing your forehead. Most often, subluxations in the neck and back are the cause. If you are experiencing headache symptoms that have you seeking relief, visit Bethesda Back Center in Bethesda, MD—our chiropractor, Dr. Gina Beech, specializes in neuromuscular pain and takes a drug-free approach to treating acute and chronic headaches.
About five percent of all headaches are warning signals caused by physical problems. Other activators include:
- Certain types of foods and beverages (cheese, chocolate, alcohol, caffeine)
- Environmental stimuli (light and sound sensitivity)
- Behaviors (insomnia, excessive exercise, technology usage)
Common Types of Headaches
- Tension - present themselves as a dull, constant pain on both sides of the head and are often accompanied by a feeling of pressure behind the eyes as well as light and sound sensitivity.
- Migraine - causes intense throbbing pain on one side of the head and usually followed by sensory disturbances.
- Cluster - a series of short, exceedingly painful headaches that occur days, weeks, or months at a time.
What Can a Chiropractor Do?
For headaches that originate in the head and neck area, patients can benefit from spinal manipulation here at Bethesda Back Center in Bethesda, MD. Added natural-relief recommendations include ice/heat pack therapy. Recent studies have shown that chronic headache and migraine sufferers may benefit from long-term chiropractic treatment than drug therapy alone. According to the American Chiropractic Association, 15 percent of people seek chiropractic treatment for headache relief.
If headaches are becoming your common cause for concern, visit Bethesda Back Center in Bethesda, MD, to discuss your treatment options. For more information about the conditions we treat and the services we provide, visit our website. To make an appointment, please call (301) 897-8500.