At Bethesda Back Center Chiropractic Office we want our patients to be well informaed about muscle, bone, joint and connective tissues, because we feel that informed patients make better decisions about their health and wellbeing. This website has an entire library of topics regarding chiropractic care as well as research articles on the benefits of chiropractic care. We encourage you to read these at your convenience.
- Strong abdominal muscles may actually prevent you from incurring a back injury, since these muscles are so critical to maintaining your spine's position, as well as assisting you with lifting.
- Strong abdominals can also lower, minimize, or avoid back pain from excessive strains, help your body deal with sudden bouts of stress, and play an important role in healing after spine surgery or a debilitating back injury.
Here is a simple exercise for strengthening your abdominals:
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor.
- Tighten your abdominal muscles and tilt your pelvis backward, pushing your lower back toward the floor.
- Hold 5 seconds, then relax.
- Do 20 repetitions.