At Bethesda Back Center Chiropractic Office we want our patients to be well informaed about muscle, bone, joint and connective tissues, because we feel that informed patients make better decisions about their health and wellbeing. This website has an entire library of topics regarding chiropractic care as well as research articles on the benefits of chiropractic care. We encourage you to read these at your convenience.
Carpal tunnel syndrome is probably the most common source of wrist pain . Symptoms may include soreness, numbness or tingling, or a burning sensation. Carpal tunnel is caused by compression in the median nerve of your hand. The compression causes swelling.
Carpal tunnel is more common among people who have repetitive wrist movements, such as sewing, painting, and writing; using a computer; and playing racquetball or handball. Diabetes, arthritis, pregnancy, and obesity have also been linked with carpal tunnel as well.
Other causes of wrist pain include:
- Arthritis (joint inflammation), including osteoarthritis (degenerative joint disease).
- Bursitis (inflammation of the bursa, the small sac containing fluid that lies between tendons and bones).
- Fracture or other injury.
- Gout (a form of arthritis that occurs as a result of the build-up of uric acid in the body and the joint fluid).
- Muscle sprain or strain.
- Tendonitis (irritation of a muscle tendon, which is the rope-like muscle that attaches to the bone).